Chugger Pump Frequently Asked Questions
The pumps are the same except for the obvious SS and Plastic materials. As a brewer, we believe the SS Head has 4 main advantages:
- It will not break easily.
- It will not cross thread.
- It is FDA regulated.
- It is easier to clean and sanitize
Ryton/Teflon (Impeller), Teflon (Thrust Washers), Stainless Steel (Front & Rear Casing).
DO NOT RUN THE PUMP DRY!
- The Chugger Pump is not self-priming. It needs to be mounted below the source of liquid and the pump head needs to be flooded prior to turning the pump on.
- You can rotate the pump head 90 Degrees. With the outlet pointing to 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00.
- You can mount the pump horizontally, vertically and upside down. However, if you mount the pump vertically do not have the motor facing up.
- Do not mount the pump in an enclosed space. This will prevent proper ventilation and may cause the pump to overheat.
- Rule of thumb would be to not to reduce the inlet to less than the inlet size, full port ½’’ inside diameter camlocks, hose barbs and ball valves are recommended.
- For the center inlet pump which has a ¾’’ inlet, you can use a ¾’’ to ½’’ full port female reducer fitting to make connections to standard ½’’ systems.
- To control flow rates; you can use a ball valve on the outlet side only, do not restrict flow on the inlet side of the pump. DO NOT USE A VOLTAGE REDUCER. This will damage the motor.
You can go back to the vendor you purchased your pump from and they will be able to provide you with replacement parts. See our full list of Authorized Chugger Pump Vendors.